Welcome to our dog-friendly holiday cottage Near Lochinver
The Old School Byre is our coastal dog-friendly self-catering holiday cottage near Lochinver on the Stoer Peninsula with mountain and sea views and the option to join Mark and Monica on guided hikes, stargazing nights, geology trips, bike rides, tailor-made feasts and more. Ideally suited for couples who want to enjoy some close-to-nature togetherness, as well as solo travellers looking for a creative retreat. Take the slow road on the NC500 with a stay at ours! Read on for the details and how to book…
The NC500 has unfortunately developed a reputation for attracting irresponsible travellers who whizz through Scotland in a flash, creating traffic (and unfortunately often rubbish!) for locals and other travellers alike. With the Old School Byre we aim to provide a more mindful experience of the NC500 and the amazing landscape of Assynt.
While we do allow one-night stays, we’d encourage you to stay longer and immerse yourself in the incredible diversity of this part of Scotland. This area is rich in local history and geology; it has the darkest skies in Scotland; and has some of the most incredible mountains and beaches in the whole country. It takes time to truly appreciate all that Assynt has to offer.
So we invite you to slow down with us and get to the heart of Assynt at our holiday cottage a short drive from Lochinver and near iconic beaches like Clachtoll and Achmelvic, and mountains like Suilven and Quinag.
Read more below about our holiday add-ons including guided hikes and astronomy nights in our on-site observatory. But first, what you’re probably wondering, the details…
Features of the Old School Byre
The Old School Byre was once a barn for cattle, and is now is a self-contained converted modern holiday cottage in Assynt, about 20 minutes drive from Lochinver right on the west coast of Scotland with sea and mountain views. Our cottage is dog-friendly and perfect for couples and solo travellers.
- One bedroom with a luxurious king size bed, perfect for snuggling and reading
- One bathroom with a spacious walk-in shower and toiletries included
- Sitting room with couch, dining table, and height-adjustable desk where you can let your creativity run wild
- Kitchenette with induction hob, toaster, microwave, kettle, sink + cutlery, plates, utensils, etc.
- Outdoor garden area
- Plenty of parking suitable for any sized vehicle
- Dog-friendly with an enclosed garden private to the byre
- Privacy! We like our privacy and respect the same for our guests. We live on site but are out of eye-view of the byre (though conveniently on hand should you have questions). The byre includes a small private garden with a view of Quinag and the sea.
- Toiletries – basics like soap and shampoo
- Free Wifi – we have high speed internet with Starling
- Kitchen basics: coffee, tea, milk, sugar, salt, pepper, olive oil
- Optional add-ons for working holidays (external display for laptops)
- Bluetooth speaker so you can relax with your own music, podcasts, and radio
- Plenty of books and local information (we’re on hand to offer advice, too)
- Evening meals can be provided upon request
Note: the property does not include a TV because we aren’t TV people, but if you’re keen on a movie night and come with a laptop, you can use our external display to stream anything you’d like!
You can see the Old School Byre pictured below to the right next to the observatory. As you can see, the mountain views of Quinag are quite epic!
Cost and Availability
We offer seasonal rates timed with the equinoxes. Rates for 2024:
- Spring-Summer-Autumn Rate (20 March – 22 Sep): £150 per night
- Winter Rate: £165 per night*
* Do to rising energy costs we have had to add a £15 surcharge to winter stays to cover the cost of extra heating and firewood, of which we allow our guests full free access to our log store.
Other fees? Nope! We do not charge a cleaning fee or an extra fee for pets, but respectfully ask guests to leave the property as they found it. Cleaning supplies will be provided.
Old School Byre Availability
Please fill in the form below to book your stay. We’ll be in touch to confirm your booking and taking payment. We look forward to seeing you!
Meet your hosts…
We’re Mark and Monica. Our home in Assynt is a dream come true for us and we gain great value in sharing this incredible place with our visitors.
Guided Hikes in Assynt
Monica is a qualified mountain leader who can provide guided hikes for all abilities, whether you want bag your first Munro or take in a stretch of the west coast of Scotland on foot.
As ambassadors of the Northwest Highlands Geopark, we’re eager to share with our guests the incredible geology of this area, steeped in history with many important sites right on our door step. If you’d like a tour of the local geology, let us know when you book your stay.
We are probably the only holiday cottage near Lochinver with its own observatory. Join us for an evening of stargazing, aurora-watching, and astrophotography.
The Old School Byre offers a peaceful space with great views and amenities for writers, artists, and anyone looking for a retreat for creativity. This includes a height-adjustable desk and external display, with optional add-ons like mindful walks and meals.